No matter what field your business lies in, a strong online presence is a must. The potential the online world holds in terms of digital marketing is huge and should not be brushed aside. However, if you are a newbie to the world of digital marketing, understanding this ocean of space can get a little overwhelming.
The first step to understanding digital marketing is familiarising yourself with some terms you are bound to come across. Here is a list of terms and their meanings you should be aware of if you are looking to optimise your online presence and up your digital marketing game.
- Search Engine Optimisation: When you want people on the internet to discover you, you need to drive traffic towards your website. SEO is ensuring you have everything to make sure that your target audience is driven by your content. SEO is a weapon in your arsenal that’ll help you understand what content your audience likes and drive them to engage with that content!
- Keywords: If what we are searching for is not available on the first page of your Google search results, you end your quest. If you don’t want your content to be buried on the millionth page, you will have to incorporate certain keywords that people use the most while searching for your content. A keyword as the name suggests is ‘Key’ or critical to a user’s search. For instance, if you are looking for a home to rent, you are most certainly going to use the words “Home/House/Apartment/Flat/Villa for Rent”. A website that’s optimised will be the first one to show up when you search for it!
- Search Engine Marketing: Apart from the use of keywords, the other way of increasing your visibility is through SEM. SEM is the act of using paid strategies for your content to show up first in the search list. SEM is the offline equivalent of putting up a hoarding or running a TV ad. SEM ads are paid for, they are not organic. Each ad is curated in such a way that it encourages people to ‘buy’ or ‘engage’ with you!
- Internal Linking: Hyperlinks to a different page but of the same domain is called internal linking. These links can help in search engine ranking and increase the overall SEO ranking.
- Anchor Text: It is the clickable text usually seen in a different colour. The text will be related to the link and this increases the chance of SEO. The name suggests exactly what it does. It anchors the content. It connects 2 independent pieces of content!
- Rank: It refers to the position in which your content shows up on the search list of a search engine. There are multiple factors that go into deciding what page is top-ranked like keywords and SEO.
- Tags: Tags are used to understand user behaviour on your site/page. If your page has any products linked, then the use of tags will help determine how many people clicked on the link or the general reason why people visited your page.
- Online Reputation Management: If you want to know what your viewers think about your brand, ORM is your solution. It is all about managing negative reviews and making happy customers leave good reviews.
- Landing page: The page that you land on after clicking an ad is called a landing page. A landing page is created solely for that particular ad or campaign and hence will have a single call-to-action or goal.
If the world of digital marketing gets too overwhelming for you, all you have to do is find a good digital marketing agency like Odigma Consultancy Solutions and we will take care of all the complicated terms and their functions for you.